Scarf Progress

Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter

Amongst those of the Christian persuasion, Easter always seems to bring out the most self-inspection. The elephant following us around seems to be the question of am I worthy of Christ's sacrifice. A lot of people will beat themselves up over this (sometimes literally as in look up Filipino flagellants) and I think this misses the point.
I am no prophet but something I believe is that God's lessons are where you look for them. Metaphor of true principles can be found in watching a seed grow, the sun rise, and a wound heal. Meaning can be found even in cleaning up after a sick child has thrown up in bed in the middle of the night. I think that instead of trying to engineer my own experience on a given holiday to match some imaginary ideal of what that experience should be like, A better approach is to spend more time interpreting the lessons already before me. The great part of this is that I don't have to wait for a day or time, the moment I seek is ready for me when I am ready to receive it.
So, in confession, I did not spend a lot of time planning and executing the perfect Easter experience with morning services, meditative thought and doctrinal exploration. I visited with family because we love each other, we hunted for eggs and ate candy because it is fun, played at the beach because we are here and the weather is wonderful and tonight, as we prayed together as a family, my son added a special thanks to God for having such a great day and asked that we can have another great day tomorrow. There was no prompting on my part and it matters little if he thought the best part of the day was the family, candy or beach; he took time to thank God for it and that is a lesson he found on his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment