Scarf Progress

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blood

It irritates me that I feel like I have to justify my grief at the loss of my Step-father.  The Grimm brothers and Disney must answer for perpetuating the stereotype that by putting the word 'step' in front of what would otherwise be a close familial relation and it suddenly is turned into a nemesis or at best a passing acquaintance.  I call Owen my Step-father because it was the 'correct' term.  I didn't call him dad because even his own son never called him that but all the grand-kids called him poppy regardless.  My own father is alive and while my parents are estranged I enjoy a good relationship with him as well so what seems confusing to many people makes sense to me that Owen was a surrogate father to me at critical points in my life and I am all the luckier for it.

He was my Bishop
He was my Seminary Teacher
He was my original Home Teaching companion
He ordained me as an Elder and was my guide in the Temple
He taught me to shave and tie a tie
He presided at my Eagle Scout Court of Honor
He was my geocaching buddy (and friendly competitor)
He was my woodworking mentor from pinewood derby to furniture
He was my mother's husband and I never doubted his love for her
He and my father-in-law (another awkward title) witnessed my sealing
They also witnessed the baptism of my three oldest children
He always had a funny story to tell
He introduced me to Tolkien
He is a template for what a father should be

While I was like many teenagers and chafed against house rules, I learned to appreciate him half a world away through letters and memories unclouded by proximity.  There are baptisms and eagle scout courts and weddings which he will not be able to attend in the flesh and they will be the poorer for it.  I have been blessed and I miss him terribly.


In Memorium


March 13, 1952 - February 17, 2012

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Greg. He sounds like such a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss Greg. I remember him fondly from your wedding and he made me feel welcome to be a part of it. Be well and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete