Scarf Progress

Friday, October 23, 2009

Phoenix Rising

Phoenix is an enormous city. I’m also including in this statement the ‘Greater Phoenix Area’ of Scottsdale, Mesa, Tempe, Sun City, and all the other burbs and townships indistinguishable to me from one another. I’m sure to the trained eye of a local there are clear delineations but I just don’t see them.

Another exciting and obvious fact is that Phoenix is in the Desert. Grass is rare and the medians, road sides and many front lawns sport so called desertscapes complete with Cacti and sandy pink gravel. It’s hot as well. Here I am in October with temperatures at home in the 40s and Phoenix is starting to cool off into the 80s. Don’t let them tell you it is a dry heat either because it is still just plain hot.



It is beautiful however. Clear blue skies hang over the aforementioned desertscapes as well as golf courses and mountains plopped down in the midst of the urban sprawl with seeming abandon. These mountains (hills really I guess) provide many scenic views to those willing to scale them. Near to the hotel I am staying in, a city park has been established amongst a few of these hills/mountains. I went out one early morning for a quick hike and brought my camera along. I have attached pictures below.


No comments:

Post a Comment