Scarf Progress

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Joy of Creation

I like to make things (except blog entries). For as long as I can remember, I have derived a special pleasure in the creation of objects. But, from cutout snowflakes and hand-drawn embellishments on notes to Lego creations (usually starships) and wooden infantry rifles; I have found that the happiness peaks at the point of final assembly. The shine starts to fade almost immediately and continues to the point of eventually no longer being interesting. I do not regret this, I simply recognize the tendency. My daughter, Rachel, is similarly possessed. Intensely focused on the project at hand until it is done after which the excitement slowly drains away.

She had recently taken up loom knitting from a church group activity making newborn caps. I realize that this may not seem like 'real' knitting to some but it has its own process that needs to be followed. To further her interests we had gotten her an assortment of round looms for Christmas and I, of course, had to try my hand at it. I soon ended up with a slightly too tall black cap that fit more snuggly than anticipated because I had forgotten my head size is an outlier to the norm. I had planned to wear it but haven't yet even though we are in the depths of winter. I've considered making another one better sized but without a significant change in process or material, I'm not sure if I could muster the interest.

Another recent project was to design and build a floating arm trebuchet to have fun with Doug's scout troop flinging innocent pumpkins to their spectacular demise. This has the potential for some amount of longevity because of the built in variability. One can affect the trajectory by changing factors such as the counterweight, the length of the sling and the weight of the projectile and each of these changes modifies the flight in their own way. Add to that the tweaks of stabilizing the platform and reducing friction and my enjoyment is prolonged because we never really arrive at the completed stage of development.

I have also been enjoying using Google's SketchUp tool to make models of the trebuchet and our house. I have been measuring everything (until the snow came) to try and get it exactly rendered. My goal is to use this model as a sort of sandbox for planned modifications such as new siding or additions to visualize how they would look prior to jumping into the project. I'll probably use it to sketch other upcoming projects such as Doug's loft bed and a engine mount/test stand for type 1 VW engines.

Just sitting here and writing calls to mind many other projects which wait for me such as modifying Patrick's train tables to be double-decker, planting the blueberry hedge and the garage pergola in just the near term alone. I guess at least I am unlikely to run out of things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment